I’ve had a major re-organisation on the little plot where I grow my herbs.
Although I did have a lovely big polytunnel this proved too hot to work in and being where it was in the garden, it finally succumbed to old age and a big poplar branch.
Earlier this year I cleared an overgrown plot and got rid of two small greenhouses. The area was covered in weed suppressant and some new staging built for larger plants. Hazel screening was then fixed to the staging to prevent deer nibbling. Something I hadn’t foreseen was several beautiful large dragonflies being attracted to the ground covering and constantly flying around looking for somewhere to lay their eggs. (Shouldn’t have chosen the bluey green colour).
Stage 2 was re-covering a smaller polytunnel with shading mesh and a temporary transparent tarpaulin for the winter. More new staging followed in here and things are really starting to look organised. This will be perfect next summer for newly potted on smaller plants.
A few weeks ago, much to my delight and relief, we finally managed to put up a new potting shed. I now have somewhere purpose built to work, with everything to hand, but after going on about “my shed” all summer, (it’s been stored since January), Robert has banned me from mentioning the “s” word.
The female blackbird and robin are delighted though, they have their own bird-table in the middle of the plot.